Issued on Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 19:00 hours (7:00 pm)
Official notice: Mount Wartenbe EVACUATION ALERT #1 (pdf)
Based on recommendations from BC Wildfire, the Peace River Regional District has issued an Evacuation Alert area for the Mount Wartenbe wildfire. This Alert is being issued because of the area’s potential danger to life and health. Evacuation Alert #1 is now in effect in the following areas:
- Properties in the vicinity of Highway 97:
- West of Chetwynd Pulp Mill Road; and,
- East of Guillet Subdivision.
- Properties on Rimsmith Road West of East Pine Provincial Park.
- It includes the following civic addresses:
4535 Caven Rd 4714 Caven Rd 1346 Hwy 97 S 1445 Hwy 97 S 1457 Hwy 97 S 1597 Hwy 97 S 2039 Hwy 97 S 2039A Hwy 97 S 499 Hwy 97 S 503 Hwy 97 S 610 Hwy 97 S 615 Hwy 97 S 695 Hwy 97 S 774 Hwy 97 S 907 Hwy 97 S 982 Hwy 97 S 844 Les’s Rd 1490 Melnychuk Rd 1674 Melnychuk Rd 1734 Melnychuk Rd 1869 Melnychuk Rd 177 Rimsmith Subdiv 1786 Spenst Rd 1814 Spenst Rd
This Alert does not affect First Nations communities or municipalities as they issue their own Orders and Alerts.
Evacuation Alert Area Mapping
To determine if your property is under an Evacuation Order or an Evacuation Alert, you can visit the PRRD Online Map Tool. Then, enter your address in the search bar at the top.
This is the time to GET PREPARED to leave your home on short notice.
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to an evacuation; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
- Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area should an Evacuation Order be called while separated.
- Sign up for North East BC Emergency notifications at NEBCAlerts.com to receive alerts about Evacuation Orders and Alerts.
- Pack essential items for a quick departure, such as government-issued ID, medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g. insurance, passports, birth certificates, banking and mortgage information), immediate care needs for dependents, cell phone and charger and, if time and space permits, personal keepsakes.
- Prepare to move disabled persons, children and neighbours if they need assistance.
- Prepare to take pets with you, including pet care items (leash, carrier, food), and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
- Arrange transportation for all your household, and fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
- Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
- If you need assistance evacuating from the area, such as for transportation, mobility, health, or other needs, please call 1-800-670-7773.
- Wait for an Evacuation Order to be issued BEFORE evacuating.
- Monitor prrd.bc.ca for information on evacuation orders, location of Reception Centres and their hours of operation.
An Evacuation Alert checklist is available under Emergency News at https://prrd.bc.ca/evacuation-alert-checklist.
Additional information about Evacuation Alerts and Orders will be posted at prrd.bc.ca.
Emergency Information Email: email@example.com
BC Wildfire is responsible for the wildfire firefighting response. For updates and additional information, visit bcwildfire.ca.