Emergency Services

Main911 ServicesFire ProtectionGet PreparedCharlie Lake Fire DepartmentVolunteer Emergency ServicesOil & Gas EmergenciesFire Department DirectoryEmergency ContactsFAQsResources

June 30 storm event survey

If you are a resident who was significantly impacted by the storm event on June 30, 2021, please take the following short survey to help the PRRD determine the level of support needed from other provincial agencies to aid residents with recovery.

PRRD Emergency Updates

Filter By:
RSS feed items will appear here.

911 Services

*In the event of an emergency, dial 9-1-1 

9-1-1 Civic Addressing

If you have built a new home or business in the rural areas of the Peace River Regional District, apply for a 9-1-1 house number. All emergency response agencies (police, ambulance and fire) are provided with maps, and the telephone companies are provided with the 9-1-1 house address which is linked to their phone number data in order to provide emergency call services.

The 9-1-1 house numbering service is provided to residents by the PRRD, and consists of a system of rural house numbering and mapping to support the regional 9-1-1 Emergency Call service. The data is held in a GIS system that identifies the house location, road network, and parcel information.

Apply for a 911 House Number

Download Application

Fill out the application and include a sketch showing the location of the house and driveway on the property to a Regional District office. Provide measurements of both the house and the driveway with respect to the property boundaries. You may also use our Interactive Webmap to create your map.

Submit Application

  • by e-mail to: prrd.dc@prrd.bc.ca
  • by fax to: [250] 784-3201
  • in person at Dawson Creek or Fort St. John office
  • by mail to Peace River Regional District, Box 810, Dawson Creek, BC V1G 4H8

Landowner Consent

If you are not the Landowner on Title, please have the current Landowner fill in the 911 Civic Address Landowner Consent Form below, and submit this form with your application.

Download Form

Civic Address Signage

The PRRD does not provide house number signs. The cost to purchase and install the house number sign is the homeowner’s responsibility. For tips on posting signage download the guideline below.

Download Guideline

Fire Protection

Fire Danger Rating
Open Fire Bans & Restrictions
Interactive Wildfire Map

Report a wildfire:
1 800 663-5555 or *5555 on a cell

Fire information line: 1 888-336-7378

Burn registration line: 1 888-797-1717

Fire Protection Areas
To find out if your home or business is within a fire protection area operated by the PRRD view the interactive web map or contact your municipality.

Before you Burn

Before you burn ALL residents and businesses in the rural areas of the Peace River Regional District must:

  • Check for fire prohibitions set by the Wildfire Management Branch:  Forest Service officials notify the public of burning prohibitions through information bulletins to local media outlets, the BC Forest Fire Info Facebook page, and through their website at bcwildfire.ca.  The Peace River Regional District defaults to the Provincial Wildfire Management Plan in the rural areas with the Wildfire Act and Regulation applying on public (Crown) land, provincial parks and private land everywhere in B.C.
  • Get a burn reference number from the Wildfire Management Branch: If open burning is allowed in your area and you are planning to burn anything larger than a typical backyard burn pile (3 meters wide x 2 meters high) or burn stubble or grass on an area more than 0.2 hectares (20 m X 20 m), you must get a burn registration number first.
  • To obtain a burn reference number, call toll free to 1-888-797-1717.
  • Check the venting index to see if burning is allowed based on environmental conditions.

If you live or work within the Dawson Creek, Pouce Coupe, Taylor, Chetwynd, Fort St John, Charlie Lake, Tomslake, Moberly Lake or Arras rural fire protection areas please contact the applicable fire department before you burn. You must follow all requirements of the BC Wildfire Service and it is recommended that you follow any recommendations of your local fire department, as they can provide you with important tips and advice on how to safely conduct burning on your property.


Get Prepared

In the Province of British Columbia regional districts and municipalities are required to plan and respond to emergencies in their area. In the Peace River Regional District each of the municipalities are responsible for their own emergency planning, while the Peace River Regional District conducts emergency planning for the unincorporated rural areas (Area B, C, D and E).

Household Emergency Preparedness Guide
Wildfire Preparedness Guide
Last-Minute Evacuation List


Family Emergency Planning 101

Just like most families have home or car insurance, EVERY family should have a plan in place for when an emergency occurs. Families should be prepared to be self-sufficient for 72 hours. During an emergency, help many not be able to get to you right away as the demand for emergency services increases.  It may take emergency workers some time to get to you as they help those in most critical need, so families need to plan to manage on their own for a period of time.  The Province of BC and the Government of Canada recommend that individuals be prepared to be self-sufficient for 72 hrs. Here are some of the basics required for an emergency kit.

72 hr kit webpagePreparing a Family Emergency Kit

  • Water: at least 2 litres* of water per person per day
  • Food that won’t spoil and should be replaced annually
  • Manual can opener
  • Wind-up or battery-powered flashlight
  • Wind-up or battery-powered radio
  • First Aid Kit
  • Cash in smaller bills and change for payphones
  • Copy of your emergency plan and contact information
  • Prescription medication, pet food, baby formula, etc.
  • Candles and a lighter
  • Sleeping bags
  • Toiletries

* 2 litres of water per day is the minimum recommended, however, 4 litres per person per day should provide enough water for drinking, washing and food preparation.

Community Emergency Preparedness Program

Good planning is the key to success in many things in life, and being ready to care for ourselves and our families following an emergency is one area where planning can make a life-altering difference.

Community Preparedness Planning Process

  • Understand the size of your community its demographics and specific concerns
  • Identify hazards, their potential effects and impacts to the community
  • Encourage community residents to become personally prepared
  • Encourage neighbors to participate in the development of a community response plan
  • Identify community resources
  • Encourage training and exercising as a community team
  • Encourage the community to work together and establish a network with adjacent communities, other organizations and the community at large

The PRRD has developed a two session planning process to support communities to begin to develop their community plans. To find out more, contact the Regional District at 250 784-3200.

Charlie Lake Fire Department

The Charlie Lake Fire Department (CLFD) is run by the Peace River Regional District. This department has a full-time fire chief and deputy chief and about 30 volunteer firefighters operating out of one fire hall.

The department responds to around one hundred 911 calls per year and protects 125 square kms with about 2,700 residents. Full-time staff are at the hall 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.  2015 Group Shot


The CLFD actively recruits once a year from March to July. If you are located within a 15 minute drive of Charlie Lake and looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to serve your community, you are a viable candidate to become a volunteer firefighter. To receive updates on the recruitment drive for each year, register for a Have Your Say account here.


13065 Firehall Rd
Charlie Lake, BC V0C 1H0


Edward Albury, Fire Chief
Ron Schildroth, Deputy Fire Chief

Services & Response Vehicles

The CLFD has nine response vehicles and provides support for fire suppression, fire prevention, wildland fires and hazardous materials incidents

Volunteer Emergency Services

Search & Rescue

When requested, volunteer Search and Rescue teams are available to support Ground Search and Rescue activities throughout the Peace Region. All members receive search training with some trained in specialized disciplines including Rope Rescue, Tracking and Swiftwater and Ice Rescue and HETS.

South Peace Search & Rescue

Practices: 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm 1st & 3rd Thursday  & one weekend practice of each month
Contact: Marcel Woodill,  President 250-719-4800
For more information: See the South Peace Search and Rescue Facebook Page

North Peace Search & Rescue

Regular Practices: 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month
Rope Practices: 7:00 to 9:00 pm 2nd & 4th Wednesday of each month
Contact: Brian Lamond, Search Manager/President 250-793-0761
Website:  https://www.npsar.ca/

Chetwynd Search & Rescue

Practices: 7:00 to 9:00 pm on designated Wednesdays
Contact: Don Wheeler, Search Manager
For more information: Tel: 250-788-3211 (SAR Hall) or 250-788-9138 (Don Wheeler) or chetwyndsar@gmail.com

Tumbler Ridge Search & Rescue Society

Practices: 7:00 pm on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month
Contact: Craig Waters, President
For more information: tumblerridgesar@gmail.com

Emergency Support Services

Emergency Support Services (ESS) provides short-term assistance to British Columbians who are forced to leave their homes because of fire, floods, earthquakes or other emergencies. This assistance includes food, lodging, clothing, emotional support and family reunification.

Chetwynd ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:
Rebekah Hallaert, 250-788-3839 or rebekahsoul@hotmail.com
Belinda Gerstal, 250-788-5096

Dawson Creek ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:

Fort St. John ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:
Kylah Bryde, 250-794-3314 or kbryde@fortstjohn.ca

Hudsons Hope ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:
Brad Milton, Fire Chief, 250-783-9901 ext 208 or brad@husonshope.ca

Taylor ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:

Tumbler Ridge ESS

Contact and Volunteer Info:
Sandra Jones, sajones1955@gmail.com

Fire Protection

For information on volunteer fire fighting check our Fire Protection page.

Oil & Gas Emergencies

If there is an Oil and Gas emergency in your area call 911 immediately.

The BC Oil & Gas Commission (OGC) provides a 24hr number for incidents (explosions, fires, line breaks, spills or leaks).  To report an incident, please call the Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre at 1-800-663-3456 (24 hrs a day). The incident operator will take your information and contact the OGC. For more information check the OGC’s website for fact sheets and public education information or check the Ministry of Natural Gas Development’s website.

Information for Emergency Planners

The Emergency Services Department has prepared the following information that outlines specifically the roles and responsibilities the Peace River Regional District will undertake in the event of an oil and gas emergency. For further information please review the document below or contact the Community Services Department at (250) 784-3200 or prrd.dc@prrd.bc.ca

Contact Information for Emergency Response Plans:

Agency: Peace River Regional District (Local Authority)
Agency Address: 1981 Alaska Avenue, Box 810, Dawson Creek, BC V1G 4H8
Agency Contact: Trish Morgan, General Manager of Community Services.
Emergency/ 24 hr Number: 1-800-670-7773
Office Number: (250) 784-3200
Fax Number: (250) 784-3201

Fire Department Directory

BC Wildfire Management Branch

Prince George Fire Centre (responsible for the Northeast)
Tel: [250] 565-6124
Website: bcwildfire.ca.

Arras Volunteer Fire Department

A registered non-profit society, the Arras Volunteer Fire Department serves prescribed areas within Arras and Farmington.

Contact: Fire Chief Rob Park
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 784-5730

Charlie Lake Volunteer Fire Department

The Charlie Lake Volunteer Fire Department, operated by the Peace River Regional District, serves prescribed areas within the Charlie Lake and Grandhaven areas. The department is staffed with a full-time fire chief, full-time assistant chief and 27 dedicated volunteer firefighters. To learn more about the Department go to their web page.

Contact:  Fire Chief Edward Albury
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 785-1424 or Edward.Albury@prrd.bc.ca

Chetwynd Volunteer Fire Department

The Chetwynd Volunteer Fire Department consists of 30 active volunteers.

Equipment used by the department is a pumper truck, ladder truck, initial response vehicle and a rescue vehicle. The Chetwynd Volunteer Fire Department responds to fires within the designated fire boundary of the District of Chetwynd and motor vehicle rescues beyond the boundaries.

Contact: Fire Chief Dan Golob
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 788-2424 or dgolob@gochetwynd.com

Dawson Creek Fire Department

The Dawson Creek Fire Department provides fire fighting and rescue services to the City of Dawson Creek, Dawson Creek Airport and a 5-mile rural fire protection area around the City.  The Fire Department also provides motor vehicle extrication anywhere requested by the RCMP or Ambulance Service.

The Department is staffed by a Fire Chief, Chief Bob Fulton, a Deputy Fire Chief, a Fire Prevention Officer, 16 Full-Time Fire Fighters and 12 Auxiliary Volunteer Fire Fighters

Contact: Fire Chief Marcel Capelle
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 782-3646 or mcapelle@dawsoncreek.ca

Fort St John Fire Rescue

Operated by the City, the Fort St. John Fire Department provides 18,000 residents with fire suppression, rescue services, first responder medical calls, building inspections and prevention and education programs.

The Department’s 19 full-time employees and 13 volunteer firefighters provide these services to the City of Fort St John as well as a rural fire protection area around the City.

Contact: Fire Chief Darrell Blades
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 785-4333 or dblades@fortstjohn.ca

Hudson’s Hope Fire Department

The Hudsons’ Hope Fire Department is a volunteer fire fighting force of 25 members under the direction of a full-time Fire Chief, operate out of two fire halls which each house two fire fighting apparatuses. The department provides Fire Suppression, Public Education, Fire Prevention, and Inspection Services to the residents and visitors of Hudson’s Hope and vehicle extrication services to the District and surrounding area.

Contact: Fire Chief Brad Milton
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 783-9901 or brad@hudsonshope.ca

Moberly Lake Volunteer Fire Department

A registered non-profit society, the Moberly Lake Serves the Moberly Lake area in addition to the West Moberly First Nation and Saulteau First Nation. The department consists of volunteer firefighters including a volunteer fire chief.

Contact: Acting Fire Chief Bob Waite
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 788-2611 or firechief@moberlylake.net

Pouce Coupe Fire Department

The Pouce Coupe Volunteer Fire Department consists of 17 active volunteers. With 2 pumpers and 1 tanker, the Department responds to the Village and a 5-mile radius around the Village.

Contact: Fire Chief Blair Deveau [250] 219-9205
For more information or to volunteer the Fire Chief or the Village office at [250] 786-5794 or firechief@poucecoupe.ca

Taylor Volunteer Fire Department

The Taylor Fire Department consists of the Fire Chief, 20 volunteer firefighters and one junior firefighter. The department has the following apparatus: 1 Triple Combination Engine, 1 Pumper/Tanker, 1 Rescue Truck, a Crash Rescue Truck, and a Command Vehicle.

Contact: Fire Chief Steve Byford
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 789-3392 or SByford@districtoftaylor.com

Tomslake & District Fire Department

A registered non-profit society, the Tomslake & District Fire Department serves prescribed areas within Tomslake. The department consists of volunteer firefighters including a volunteer fire chief.

Contact: Fire Chief George Giersch
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 786-5330 or ggiersch@pris.ca

Tumbler Ridge Fire Department

The Tumbler Ridge Fire Department is a dedicated group of 15 volunteers and the Fire Chief, who’ve spent a great deal of time training and donating their time to community events.

Contact: Fire Chief Dustin Curry
For more information or to volunteer: Tel: [250] 242-3939 or trfire@dtr.ca

Emergency Contacts

Emergency Only: RCMP/ Ambulance/Fire

Phone # Notes
RCMP 911 Available to all residents
BC Ambulance Service 911 Available to all residents
Fire Departments 911 Available to residents inside fire protection areas

Emergency Reporting, Management & Support

Phone # Notes
Emergency Management BC 1-800-663-3456 to report an emergency (floods, forest fires, earthquakes,etc.)
Emergency Support Services 250-784-3200 Short-term emergency assistance for people who are forced to leave their homes
Child Find BC Call 911 if a child is missing
delivers services to families whose children go missing unexpectedly

Weather and Avalanche Information

Phone # Notes
Environment Canada for current weather information
Canadian Avalanche Association 1-800-667-1105 for bulletins

250-837-2141 general information

not for profit organization dedicated to public avalanche safety that coordinates public avalanche safety programs

Health Concerns

Phone # Notes
Poison Control Center 1-800-567-8911 Poisoning first aid and treatment advice
BC Nurse Line 811 24-hour, confidential health information & advice
Northern Health Authority (non-emergency) 250-565-2649 Prince George Corporate Office


Phone # Notes
Highway Rescue 911
Provincial Highways Condition Center 604-660-9770
DriveBC Road Reports
Argo Road Maintenance 1-800-663-7623 Local road maintenance contractor
Dawson Road Maintenance 1-800-842-4122 Local road maintenance contractor

Wildfires & Environmental Concerns

Phone # Notes
BC Wildfire Management Branch 1-800-663-5555,
*5555 on your cell
Report a forest fire in BC
BC Wildfire Management Branch 250-561-4628 Updates on wildfires in BC, fire bans and prevention

Oil & Gas Information & Concerns

Phone # Notes
BC Oil & Gas Commission 250-794-5200 FSJ
250-795-2140 DC
BC’s oil and gas industry regulator
Oil & Gas Incident Reporting 1-800-663-3456 24-hour incident reporting line for oil and gas emergencies
National Energy Board Federal petroleum regulator
Pacific Northern Gas 1-800-663-1173 Natural gas provider
Terasen Gas 1-800-663-9911 Natural gas provider

Other Utilities

Phone # Notes
BC Hydro 1-800-POWER-ON
Hydro problems
BC One Call – Call Before You Dig! 1-800-474-6886 To determine underground hazards

School Districts

Phone # Notes
Peace River South (SD59) 250-782-8571 Public Schools
Peace River North (SD60) 250-262-6000 Public Schools

Other Volunteer Emergency Services

BC Search & Rescue
Civil Air Search & Rescue
Amateur Radio
Provincial Radio Communications Service
Red Cross


What do I do if an emergency event happens in my area?
Depending on the event, you should call one of the following phone numbers:

  • Dial 911 for Fire, Police, Ambulance, or Oil & Gas Emergencies
  • 1- 800-663-5555 or * 5555 from a cellular phone for to report a forest, brush or grass fire
  • 1-800-663-3456 Emergency Management BC for other emergencies, such as train derailments, hazardous goods spills, plane crashes, flooding
  • 1-800-663-WILD (9453) BC Conservation Officer to report encounters with wild animals

Will someone from the PRRD respond to the emergency and take appropriate action?
The PRRD program does not coordinate or facilitate the emergency response activities of firefighters, police, ambulance or other first responders. The program is designed to assist these agencies in responding to emergencies by coordinating additional resources, equipment and manpower once the incident commander either exhausts local resources or determines that the magnitude of the event requires additional resources. The PRRD will also become directly involved in liaison with other agencies, coordinating evacuations, providing emergency social services, releasing information to the media, and long term planning and logistics for large scale events.

How will the PRRD coordinate all of these activities?
The PRRD will activate the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) which is located in the main PRRD office in Dawson Creek. Using the BC Emergency Response Management System (BCERMS), staff will be brought into the EOC to coordinate key functions such as EOC Director, Liaison Officer, Public Information Officer, Operations, Planning, Logistics and Finance/Administration. Lines of communication will be maintained with the incident commander and resources will be allocated as required.

When the PRRD-EOC is activated, the Province will also activate the Provincial Regional Emergency Operations Centre (PREOC) in Prince George to provide technical assistance and additional resources to the PRRD as required.

What type of emergency events could occur in the PRRD?
in 2014, a Hazard, Risk and Vulnerability Analysis was completed by the Protective Services Department which identified seven (7) high risk hazards for this area:

  • Severe Cold Weather Power Outages
  • Flooding;
  • Forest/Interface Fires;
  • Hazardous Material Spills or Explosions;
  • Oil & Gas Incidents (facility, pipeline, gas leak);
  • Water Storage Facility Failure
  • Animal Disease

When would an evacuation be ordered and by whom?

When rural residents are at risk due to fire, flood, or TDG (to name a few) an evacuation order could be ordered by:

  • The Board of Directors of the PRRD, after declaring a State of Local Emergency.
  • The Fire Commissioner, for either tactical or safety reasons or due to the threat of explosion.
  • The Ministry of Health or the local Health Authority.
  • The Province of BC, after declaring a Provincial State of Emergency.

How much advanced notice of an evacuation would I receive and do I have to leave my property?
An evacuation order may or may not be preceded by an evacuation alert, depending on the event and how much time is available to clear the affected area. It is preferable to first issue an alert so people can prepare, but this is not always possible. Once an evacuation has been ordered, you must leave your property as the order will be enforced by the R.C.M.P. To ensure personal and family emergency preparedness, check our Get Prepared page on our website.

What kind of assistance is available for people who have been evacuated?
There are two organizations that provide for the immediate needs of evacuees:

Emergency Support Services (ESS)

ESS is a provincial emergency response system that provides services to preserve the well being of people affected by an emergency or disaster. ESS volunteers play an important role during emergencies in the PRRD by:

  • Helping people to remain independent and self sufficient.
  • Helping people to meet their basic survival needs during a disaster (food, shelter, clothing, medical needs, etc.).
  • Reuniting families separated by disaster.
  • Providing people with accurate and up-to-date information about the situation at hand.
  • Helping people to re-establish themselves as quickly as possible after a disaster.
  • Helping a community work through the recovery process.

If you are interested in becoming an ESS volunteer in the Peace please see our ESS Page for more information.

More information regarding the ESS can be obtained on the website or by calling the Provincial Emergency Program, ESS Branch in Victoria at (250) 387-6446 or toll free in BC at (800) 585-9559.

Canadian Red Cross

The Canadian Red Cross, Disaster Services Branch, also plays a very important role in the PRRD Emergency Program by helping people affected by emergencies and disasters. The Red Cross works with governments and other humanitarian organizations (such as Emergency Social Services) to provide for people’s basic needs – food, clothing, shelter, first aid, emotional support and family reunification. During the recovery phase of disasters, Red Cross remains on the scene, helping those affected to rebuild their lives and communities. More information on the Canadian Red Cross and the disaster services they provide can be found at www.redcross.ca or by contacting their Prince George office at (250) 564-6566. The website also contains some excellent information on how families and individuals can ensure that they are personally prepared in the event of a disaster impacting their community.

Does the PRRD emergency preparedness program include search and rescue for lost persons?
No – this is the responsibility of Emergency Management BC, the R.C.M.P. and Search and Rescue groups. The PRRD does provide small grants to local Search and Rescue teams to assist with operational and training costs.

Can I get involved as a volunteer?
The Emergency Management BC website reports that about 13,000 British Columbians volunteer their time and services in areas such as Emergency Social Services, Search and Rescue, Emergency Radio Communications, Emergency Air Services and Road Rescue. These groups are always actively seeking and encouraging new members. For more information on emergency services volunteer opportunities click here.


Family Emergency Preparedness and Kits

Preparing Your Home for Emergencies

Winter Weather Preparedness Tips

Power Outage Preparedness

Flood Preparedness

Fire Prevention & Preparedness

Livestock Preparedness

Influenza & Pandemic Preparedness

Emergency Preparedness for Children

Sparky the Fire Dog
Sparky the Fire Dog
Elmer the Safety Elephant
Elmer the Safety Elephant

Other Links