Solid Waste Management Plan
The PRRD developed a Regional Solid Waste Management Plan that was approved in 2009 and updated in 2016. The Plan addresses three key areas:
- Greater efficiency of programs and services
- Greater focus on reducing, reusing, and recycling to protect our environment
- Greater focus on sustainable management to protect future generations
Solid Waste Activities and Achievements include:
- Construction of modern controlled transfer stations will replace unattended existing facilities
- 15 transfer stations have already been built between 2012-2016
- Six more transfer stations will be built in 2019/2021 to complete the network
- Share Shed programs have been launched at all rural transfer stations. The North Peace Regional Landfill’s Share Shed opened the summer of 2014!
- Landfill gas management system was constructed and built in 2013, and has been operational since 2014. Vertical Well Expansion is currently taking place
- Developing a variety of public awareness and education programs to further promote waste reduction
- Recycling program to divert multi-materials from landfills
- Waste Composition Audit started in Spring of 2017 and consist of four sampling events, where the last sample occurred in Winter 2018.
- Development of wood waste management plan with a pilot composting project
Waste Composition Audit
The Peace River Regional District completed a year-long waste composition at all three regional landfills between Spring of 2017 and Winter 2018. To read the report click the following link: Four Season Report.
Provincial Stewardship Programs
There are numerous provincial stewardship programs that have been developed to take back a variety of items to be recycled, reused, and disposed of in an environmentally sound manner. For more information click on the various links to learn more about these provincial stewardship programs: