Resources for Old Fort Residents

MainCorrespondenceEmergency PlanProperty & HousingResources & Contacts

(click title to expand)

Professional Assessments of the Slide and Surrounding Areas +

The PRRD requested commentary from geotechnical professionals responsible for monitoring and evaluating the Old Fort Road and slide, surrounding crown lands and the community. Tetra Tech, on behalf of PRRD, for the Old Fort community is of the opinion at this time that the risk to the community posed by recent Old Fort slide movements is low. When slide movements occur, they are generally directed away from the community. East or southeast components of the movements are typically smaller-scale and slower-moving. No reactivation of the West Slide mass has been observed.

Fresh onset of movement is difficult to predict and circumstances can change quickly, depending on external factors such as water ingress, changed groundwater flow patterns, weather, anthropogenic processes, etc. Despite this, should renewed movements occur, and should such movements pose a risk to the community, sufficient time to evacuate or respond would be available, provided that ongoing slide monitoring systems remain active and regularly monitored, and provided that alert/alarm notifications are distributed to us and the Regional District.

View the full report from TetraTech

Ministry of Transportation (MoTI) – Road and Slide Impacts On The Road +

Currently the instrumentation is showing negligible movement for all parts of the slide and the road is safe for public use. The ravelling that is occurring on the steep scarp beside the ridge will continue but any failure there would not be able to make it down to the road. It will land on the top part of the flow part of the slide. The only thing that the road will do in the future is move towards the river if the flow part of the slide re-activates the same way it has done for the last two episodes. It is near impossible to predict when the slide will start moving again, but the instrumentation is there and will continue to be monitored. There is nothing to indicate anything catastrophic would happen to the road.

Until further notice, and at the resolution of the Regional Board, the PRRD will consider, but is likely to reject or defer any application applications for Development Variance Permits, Temporary Use Permits, Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw Amendments and Zoning Bylaw Amendments for lands within the Geohazard Study Area, located approximately 5 kilometers south of Fort St. John near the community of Old Fort, BC. These measures will remain in place until MoTI has completed all geotechnical studies of Old Fort Road, and made a final determination on the long-term plan for the road as it relates to sustainable access.

View the full report from MoTI concerning Old Fort Road Options

Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development – Surrounding Crown Lands +

Ongoing monitoring of the eastern landslide complex continues to show negligible displacement. Ravelling of the upper scarps will likely be restricted to the upper part of the earth flow, and movement of the main slide is generally directed away from the community. Should the earthflow reactivate, peak movement is not expected to be greater than 3 to 4 meters per hour.



Filter By:
RSS feed items will appear here.
Share this:



Old Fort Slide, Updates Archive

Old Fort Slide, Photographs

Filter By:
RSS feed items will appear here.

Emergency Plan


About the Regional Emergency Operation Centre structure

EOC Purpose

EOC Structure

Property & Housing


The Peace River Regional District is not responsible for home or tenant insurance. If you have questions about your home or tenant insurance, call your insurance representative directly or call the Insurance Bureau of Canada toll-free at 844-227-5422.

Property Values

The Peace River Regional District is not responsible for determining property values. If you have questions about how the slide may affect property values, contact the BC Assessment Authority at 1-866-825-8322.

Resources & Contacts

*Dial 9-1-1 in an emergency when you need immediate help from police, fire or ambulance services

Agency Contact Note(s)
BC Assessment Authority 866-825-8322 Contact if you have questions about how the slide may affect property values.
BC Hydro 888-769-3766 Contact for questions related to Site C.
Disaster Financial Assistance 888-257-47777
Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is a provincial program to help individuals and local governments recover from uninsurable disasters. The DFA Program comes into effect when residents cannot access insurance for events that are uninsurable, such as the Old Fort Landslide. DFA can compensate individuals for 80% of eligible claims, after the first $1,000 to a maximum claim of $300,000. DFA is for essential items only.
Emergency Info BC 1-250-952-4913
Employee Assistance programs Please contact your employer to see if this service is available. Your employer may have an employee assistance program (EAP). EAP is a work-based intervention program designed to identify and assist employees in resolving personal problems (e.g., marital, financial or emotional problems; family issues; substance/alcohol abuse) that may be adversely affecting the employee’s performance.
Fort St. John Health Unit 250-263-6000
Fort St. John Women’s Resource Society 250-787-1121
Health Link BC 8-1-1
Access free, non-emergency health information for anyone in your family, including mental health information. You can also speak to a registered nurse about symptoms you’re worried about, or talk with a pharmacist about medication questions.
Insurance Bureau of Canada 844-227-5422 Contact your insurance representative directly if you have questions about your home or tenant insurance, or call the Insurance Bureau of Canada toll-free.
Mental Health Support Line 310-6789 (do not add area code)
Reach a mental health support worker trained to provide emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day.
Pacific Northern Gas 800-663-1173
Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Low Carbon Innovation 800-663-7867
Contact regarding the Deasan Gravel Pit.
Ministry of Transportation (MoTI) Northern Regional Office, 250-787-3237
MoTI is responsible for sustainability and maintenance of Old Fort Road; contact if you have questions about roads, exclusively.
*Police / Ambulance Emergency 9-1-1 Call 9-1-1 immediately to report an emergency or life-threatening situation.
Police, Non-Emergency 250-787-8140
Talk In Tough Times 877-427-4884
Telus 800-663-0333
Yellowhead Road and Bridge 888-883-6688