With current evacuation orders in place in the Peace Region, the Peace River Regional District (PRRD) is working with partners in local municipalities to provide Emergency Support Services (ESS) for residents who are under an Evacuation Order.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR MAY 17, 2023
If you have moved from ORDER to ALERT:
If you remain under an Evacuation ORDER and you are receiving Emergency Support Services:
If you remain under an Evacuation ORDER and you have not evacuated yet:
What does ESS provide?
- Assistance with lodging, food, medications and other essential needs while under an Evacuation Order
- Information to assist with returning home when the Evacuation Order is cancelled
- Other assistance and resources as needed
- If you are planning to stay at a campsite or hotel, you need to register with ESS to receive a voucher to pay for your accommodation.
Evacuee Registration Assistance Tool
If you are arranging for your own lodging and other service, it is still important to register with ESS. You can also register online and then go to a Reception Centre.
Online registration: https://ess.gov.bc.ca/
Where to go for Emergency Support Services
ESS Reception Centres are set up in the communities listed below, and residents who are under an Evacuation Order can choose their preferred location. Please register with ESS, even if you have arranged for your own lodging, as this ensures you have access to ESS for vouchers for food or other essential items, or if further assistance is needed in future.
Fort St John
May 16, 2023 Hours: open until 6:00 pm
May 17, 2023 Hours: 1:00 to 5:00 pm
Reception Centre Location: North Peace Arena, 9805 96 Avenue, Fort St John
- Please note – there are no hotels available in Fort St John
- Vouchers for food and/or campsites
- Assistance with filling prescriptions
May 16, 2023 Hours: open until 6:00 pm
May 17, 2023 Hours: open from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Reception Centre Location: Co-op Mercer Hall, Ovintiv Events Centre, #1 – 300 Highway 2, Dawson Creek
- Vouchers for campsites, hotels and food in Dawson Creek
May 16, 2023 Hours: open until 10:00 pm
May 17, 2023 Hours: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Reception Centre Location: Chetwynd Recreation Centre, 4552 North Access Road, Chetwynd
- Vouchers for campsites, hotels and food in Chetwynd
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Reception Centre Location: Kin Lounge, 2187 Ospika Blvd, Prince George
- Vouchers for campsites, hotels and food in Prince George
- I don’t need a place to stay or any food, do I need to register with Emergency Support Services?
You do not need to register for ESS, but it helps to give the responding agencies an idea of how many people have evacuated and a way to contact you if we need to do so.
- I can’t make it to the reception centre before it closes, is there a phone number I can call?Yes, you can call the reception centre in Fort St John at 250-794-3310 or Chetwynd at 250-556-4173 if you are still in the Peace Region. If you have left the Peace Region for Prince George, call Prince George ESS at 778-675-3735.
- I have a place to stay, but need some support with food. Can ESS help while I am evacuated?Yes you can receive vouchers for groceries or restaurants if you are evacuated, but you must register at a reception centre to receive these services.
- I have arranged my own hotel or campsite, can I be reimbursed for this cost?
Only those that have registered with ESS and have received a referral to a hotel or campsite, will have these services paid for by ESS. ESS cannot reimburse anyone for expenses that they have incurred.
- I left my home without my medication. Is there anyone who can help me?
ESS may be able to help you connect with Northern Health to get you your prescriptions.
How to reach the PRRD:
- PRRD Public Emergency Info Line: 250-219-5210
- PRRD Emergency Info Email: email@example.com